Wednesday, April 13, 2005

A choice between the Yi and a Quanzhen immortal

Back in the middle of 1993, I went to ask an immortal in a Quanzhen temple whether the divinity can teach me how to better understand the Zhouyi. One consults the Yi whenever one intends to pay a visit on an acknowledged master. Visiting a Quanzhen immortal was no exception to the rule. And Yi’s answer on the intended visit was Hexagram 25 Innocence (The Unexpected) with three moving lines; the first, fourth and fifth, resulting in a change to Hexagram 23 Splitting Apart.

The judgment on Hexagram 25 reads:
Innocence. Supreme success. Perseverance furthers. If someone is not as he should be, he has misfortune, and it does not further him to undertake anything.

The judgment on Hexagram 23 reads:
Splitting Apart. It does not further one to go anywhere. (Book of Changes) [W/B]

Innocence was an apt reference to the immortal, purity could be a better description but the Book of Changes has no hexagram under that name. Take note that both innocence and purity can mean, free from moral wrong. Innocence can also apply to me as one must be sinless and show sincerity in the presence of a divinity. It was also my first visit to this Taoist temple and an immortal.

This Quanzhen immortal is known to scold sinful people before he answers their questions if any. I was pleasantly surprised that not only did the immortal not scold me; he invited me to be his disciple to learn Tao instead of studying the Yi. It was totally unexpected (see alternate name for Hexagram 25) for his disciples and I since most have to ask (some beg) the divinity to take them in. Some waited for a few years to become disciples and one has waited for fifteen years and counting. (No one wants to break the bad news to this person who is a tycoon). I was honored but given a choice I decided to follow the Yi. To become his disciple would mean splitting apart from the Yi.

The immortal finally gave some advice which took me a whole six months to decipher, but that is another story. Meanwhile I hope you have not missed my simple interpretations on Hexagrams 25 and 23 and the significance of a yarrow-stalk oracle.

No comments: