Thursday, May 04, 2006

There was no wind

For the past several years, I meditate with the windows in front and the bedroom door behind me locked to avoid any undue disturbances. However since the doorknob has broken recently and not replaced, the door lever does not work. Therefore the door cannot close properly and cannot be locked from the inside. Whenever there are heavy thunderstorms, strong winds come through the ventilation shaft and often blow the door ajar.

Just the other day, something strange occurred during my daily meditation. In the midst of my meditation, one quiet and still morning, I heard some scratching on the door behind me. Thinking that it could be my young daughter who had woken up in the wee hours of the morning and fooling around, I ignored the slight disturbance. Then one heard the door being opened and closing slowly. On the third such occurrence, still sitting in my meditation pose, I decided to ask aloud who it was. There was no reply.

My wife who was sleeping in the bedroom woke up and I asked her to find out who was swinging the door to and fro. She got up, went out to investigate and said there was no one outside the bedroom. The children were still asleep in their own rooms, she had said before going back to bed.

Just as I was about to finish the meditation, the door swung open and slammed shut by itself. Getting out of the meditation, I swung around and opened the door to take a look. Indeed there was no one around. My wife woken by the sound of the door slamming shut asked what happened and suggested that it could have been the wind.

My reply to her was, ‘Yes, but there was no wind.’

No comments: